Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My 14 yr old female chihuahua has had eye irritation past 2

Customer Question

My 14 yr old female chihuahua has had eye irritation for the past 2 weeks or so. It was milder at first, but suddenly became a greenish discharge. Her eyes are swollen and red. I began cleaning w/ a eye solution a couple times a day and that helped, but when I stopped, the irriation and discharge returned. Then, on ethe evening of the 8/16 I realized she had fleas. I gave her a flea bath and applied frontline, hoping that the fleas had possibly triggered an allergic reaction, and that now that they were gone she would improve, but she hasn't yet. She is already a timid dog and now that she can't see, she doesn't even want to move. Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your girl. Based on what you are describing, a decreased year production situation called KCS would be suspect here. Basically they have a decrease in tear production that causes more debris to build up with the eye that causes it to be more irritated and red. This situation is one that can be best managed with specific products from your vet to help increase tear production. If this situation is what is going on, if left untreated it can cause pigmentation on the cornea that can permanently affect vision. The best thing to do here is to get her to your vet for them to check her over. They can then start up specific therapy. Could it be an infection or other irritant in the eye like an ulcer? Those would be considerations too.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi Laura,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Winnie. How is everything going?