Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I had my female dog groomed and the woman said the dogs anal

Customer Question

I had my female dog groomed and the woman said the dogs anal gland is swollen. will it go away by itself or what should I do. She is 15 years old and has many problems.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.

Unfortunately if your girl has a swollen anal gland it is unlikely to resolve on its own.

A swollen gland may simply be very full, in which case having it expressed can take care of things, but it can also mean that she has an anal gland infection or impaction, or that she has an anal gland mass.

She does need to see her veterinarian to have her anal glands checked and determine the cause of the swelling, and thus how best to treat her.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tiffany. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara