Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog has been spitting up since last night, but just

Customer Question

My dog has been spitting up since last night, but just heaving and then a foamy/clear liquid. And just a little bit. Called the vet, they said to take away food and water for 12 hours to let it pass, but now she is just dry heaving. Should I take her to emergency vet now? She's not lethargic or anything, but she's skittle more cuddly than usual. She's 3. She ate the insides of a new stuffed animal a few days ago. This is nothing new for her, but, just FYI. The vet said to bring her back in the morning if she wasn't better after 12 hours of no food, but now it's 12 hours. And I did give her water, even though they said not to. It's really hot here. She spent most of the day inside, but I just had to give her water after she went outside.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

Ideally, I would go to a vet and get some x-rays. If you can go now, then I would do it now. If there is an obstruction, the sooner they go in surgically the better off she'll be. If you can't go in until tomorrow morning, then I would give a small amount of water tonight. You can give a small amount (1/4 cup) every 2-4 hours. The constant nausea does worry me, though, and I would do x-rays tonight if she were my dog.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Melissa,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Alice. How is everything going?