Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog fell down the stairs yesterday we carried her

Customer Question

My dog fell down the stairs yesterday we carried her upstairs just now and we think she may have reinsured herself when we put her down
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

It does sound like she is painful. Greyhounds can often times end up with broken bones when they fall down the stairs. In an older dog like this, I would want to do a full exam to see why she fell down the stairs. I would want to make sure it's not secondary to some type of organ disease, cancer, vision loss, seizure or heart disease. If it's just that she stumbled and fell, some pain meds (Rimadyl, Tramadol, Gabapentin) may help relieve the signs. I usually go with some type of combination in greyhounds as they don't tolerate pain very well.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This in the middle of the night were can we get these meds . We are in a friends house and the stairs are wooden and steep. We cannot get the pain meds you suggest is alprzolan .5 we are alsoputting ice on her shoulder which seems to help. Please advise
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean is Xanax .5 ok to give to come her down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please advise
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

You will need to get the meds from a vet.

For now, you can give 0.5 mg of Alprazolam (Xanax). That will help her sleep and calm down. If it's not helping, you can go up to 2 mg.