Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My Great Pyrenees is almost 4 months. Last week, he had

Customer Question

My Great Pyrenees is almost 4 months. Last week, he had explosive dark green diarrhea but no other changes were noticed. Tonight, he has had to go outside much more frequently than normal, about five times in 3 hours. His stools are normal in color but they seem to be quite runny. His stomach also seems bloated. His appetite and water intake have been normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help Has he had any vomiting? Is he current on his shots? Has he been checked for intestinal parasites?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No vomiting, he is current on shots. And no, he has not been checked for any parasites.

Thank you for answering those questions. There typically two main causes for what you've described. The first would be that he ate something to upset his intestinal tract. Since puppies are constantly putting things in their mouth it is a common occurrence. Another big possibility is intestinal parasites like coccidia, hookworms, roundworms, or even whipworms. They are not visible to the eye and most puppies are infected in the womb or right after birth (except for coccidia, that comes from contaminated soil typically). For tonight, continue to offer him plenty of water and give him only a small meal to allow his stomach to rest. There aren't any good over the counter diarrhea medications that can be used in this situation. Have him seen by your vet tomorrow so that a fecal test can be done to look for intestinal parasites. If you have more questions please reply back.

Hi Tara,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Otis. How is everything going?
Dr. Christian K.