Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My dog has some bad teeth and now she doesn't want to eat is

Customer Question

My dog has some bad teeth and now she doesn't want to eat is that normal is there any thing we can do please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Wriggle and her bad teeth. I am happy to help you this evening. The best thing to do with bad teeth like this is to discuss a a dental cleaning with your vet and possible extraction of the bad teeth. This will remove the source of pain and discomfort and clean the rest of her teeth to help preserve the health of the other teeth. This would be the best thing to do to help get her back to a comfortable mouth. If you cannot do this right away then placing her on some oral antibiotics that are good for oral health such as Clavamox or Clindamycin and also having her on some anti-inflammatory pain medications such as Rimadyl. This will help her mouth feel better until the dental can be done. Unfortunately there is really nothing that will work over the counter that will help at this time and also brushing her teeth at this point may only cause more pain if she has bad teeth in her mouth.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Wriggle. How is everything going?
Dr. Whitehead