Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog, a mix of boxer and black lab has had a limp in s

Customer Question

My dog, a mix of boxer and black lab has had a limp in his front right leg that seems to be getting worse. We can not afford an xray so I was wondereing if ican give him neurontin once a day
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear Murphy has a limp that is not resolving. Neurontin is commonly used in veterinary medicine and is under the name gabapentin. CLICK HERE for more information on this medication in dogs.

If you are able to tell me how much Murphy weighs, what mg neurontin you have then I can hopefully guide you better as far as possible dosages.

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

OK well here is the dose range if I miss you this evening:

For treatment for seizures in dogs, gabapentin is started at 2.5 to 5 mg per pound (5 to 10 mg/kg) every 8 to 12 hours. For pain control, doses range from 1.5 to 5 mg per pound (1.25 to 2.5 mg/kg) every 12 hours.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!