Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I've got a 8 month old Aussie. At noon she was fine, when I

Customer Question

I've got a 8 month old Aussie. At noon she was fine, when I got home from work she'd had diarrhea in her crate. And she's panting, has thrown up a couple of times. It's all pretty much bile. She's drooling quite a bit when she's panting.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your puppy is showing signs of gi upset. The increased salivation along with the panting is a sign of nausea. As long as there is no signs of abdominal swelling, her gums are nice and pink, and she is able to rest without getting up every few minutes I can give you some recommendations for tonight but if that changes then I would advise a veterinary er tonight

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode and no water since she is still showing signs of nausea. Take her on a nice long walk if you are able, this helps reduce gi cramping and spasms, increase gi motility, and reduce nausea as well

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in 6-8 hours. We don't want to give her anything orally right now because it will very likely end in vomiting. The only way to treat nausea medically at this point is injectable medications which we might have to consider if this is not resolving

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting her comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions tonight. I hope she is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!