Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our male unneutered chow is attacking our female chow that

Customer Question

Our male unneutered chow is attacking our female chow that is not in heat,why won't he sop trying to bite her. Thanks judi
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello Judi,
I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Chows. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
I see Harley is 7 years old. Have the two been living together all this time, and now suddenly he is attacking her? Or have they not been together for 7 years?
Have you considered neutering him? That is the first thing we usually do in male dogs exhibiting aggression.
Dog on dog aggression can be complex, and difficult to treat. It will help to know more about when it happens, if people are present or not, if food or toys or treats are involved, and what you have tried so far. I don't want to suggest things that you have already tried.
The first thing any behavior expert is going to recommend is to have him neutered. Any behavior modification or training will work best if that is done first.
Let me know what else I can help with or answer.