Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog fell off the chair in the living room and now she

Customer Question

My dog fell off the chair in the living room and now she limps and the inner thigh is swollen what's wrong with her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

If the thigh is visibly swollen, then I would get an x-ray of the leg. That will rule out any fractures. If she's still able to put weight on the leg, then it's not likely fractured, but an x-ray will tell you for sure. If it's just a muscle bruise with swelling, then some pain meds and rest should get her back to normal within 7-10 days. I would use an anti-inflammatory medication like Rimadyl.

If there is a fracture, then surgery to repair it may be needed. Any fracture of the thigh bone (Femur) will typically require some type of internal stabilization. Hopefully that is not the case here.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.