Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Can I give my 14lb. 15 year old maltese macrobid UTI? Can I

Customer Question

can I give my 14lb. 15 year old maltese macrobid for a UTI? Can I put it in his food as he wont take it PO in liquids.
I have capsules 100mg. how can I measure this to about 28MG's??? Thank you.
The dog has cushings disease. Can you please help me I am a senior on low income and cant afford to take the dog to a vet. He was a pet therapy dog. Please help! Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

We don't have any studies on the efficacy or safety of Macrobid in dogs. There are some people that have used it at 2 mg per lb body weight. I have not personally used it, so I wouldn't recommend it.

For UTI's, the best thing is to start some antibiotics. An exam and some antibiotics should be relatively inexpensive to get this treated correctly. If you need to wait a day or two, you can give some cranberry juice 2-3 times daily, as it has some ability to lessen the signs of a UTI. You could also give Aspirin for the discomfort. The Aspirin dose in dogs is 5 mg per lb body weight every 12-24 hours.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.