Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have been giving our Maltipoo dog distilled water since we

Customer Question

I have been giving our Maltipoo dog distilled water since we have had her at 5 weeks of age to deduce the eye secretions. Can this water in any way be unhealthy in term of her kidneys? The vet said her blood work was slightly off for the kidneys this time and wants to repeat it again in a couple months. I wonder if this is caused by the fact that she does not drink much water and we live in a very hot climate. She is in air conditionong at all times except for walks. Or can the distilled water affect the readings?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The absence of the very dilute minerals found in regular drinking water but missing in distilled water isn't significant. If Missy has been eating a balanced diet distilled water is acceptable. Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I'd like to see what "slightly off" kidney blood work means to her vet. A urinalysis is essential to complete a kidney "work-up". Was a urinalysis also performed?