Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I am on holiday with my 10 year old greyhound. She weighs

Customer Question

Hello Dr Heather. I am on holiday with my 10 year old greyhound. She weighs approx 60lbs. For the past 2 days she has had diarrhea. I want to give her Imodium 2mg but the tablets I have are for humans. I just need to stop the diarrhea until we get home next week and I can go to the vet. I have fed her boiled rice and chicken today. Fasting is not an option - she's too thin already. What do you think?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, I would not advocate fasting as it often doesn't help the gut when there is an ongoing issue. Instead, I am glad to see that you plan to start Petra on a light diet (just to note you can alternatively offer boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled egg if you have any issues with the chicken). We often offer this as small frequent meals when dogs have diarrhea to aid digestion and reduce diarrhea load.
Otherwise, as long as you have seen no blood or black stool in her diarrhea, then 2mg of Imodium every 8-12 hours would be acceptable for her. Though if she is sensitive to its sedation type effects, then OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p) would be another alternative to consider.
Finally, if the diarrhea has been quite runny, do make sure to keep her drinking. You can encourage her by adding low salt chicken broth to her water. Or if need be, you could syringe her fluids. If you need to do the latter, I would just note that she will need a daily volume of 1.3L plus an equivalent volume to match her diarrhea losses. But this would be our goal to keep her hydrated as you address the diarrhea.
Overall, the above would be our supportive care plan for this situation. Of course, if this doesn't settle by the time she is home, then we'd want to have her +/- a stool sample examined to pinpoint the trigger (ie bacteria, viruses, parasites) so that appropriate treatment can be used to clear this for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Petra. How is everything going?
nekovet