Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a new dog. I have had her 5 days. She has had many

Customer Question

I have a new dog. I have had her 5 days. She has had many changes in the last four weeks: brought to Oregon from California by truck. Put in Humane Society kennel, surgeries for spay and cherry eye, and adoption. Her demeanor is timid although she has bonded with me. She has urinated once in the last 5 days and not had a bowel movement. Is she too upset by so many changes or constipated?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Poor Poppy!
That does sound like quite a bit to adjust to. Still, its nice to hear that she has a home and has bonded with you already. I am sure she will blossom into a great companion as she settles.
Now in regards ***** ***** urination and defecation. It is not uncommon to see dogs try to hold each when they are unsure of their surrounds. So, as long as she is eating and drinking, we'd want to give her a bit of encouragement with passing feces. Especially at this stage it is likely related to her reluctance but could easily turn into a bit of constipation.
In regards ***** ***** options at this stage, there are a few mild tricks toy can try. To start, you can offer some cow's milk as its lactose content can be helpful at getting things moving along if a dog has mild constipation. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used here. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum.
Alternatively, if she has any straining or is stubborn, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or mineral oil orally. If she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration (since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). Again as GI lubricants, they can just get things moving with more regularity.
Afterwards, you can use fiber supplementation to keep things moving. To do so, you can mix some canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into her food. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water) as this too will help prevent constipation. And I would note that once we get them comfortable enough to pass feces, we often see them start to regularly pass urine as well.
So, do try the above with her to help get things moving just now. And as she settles and realizes that this is her forever home, we would expect this to all settle for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )