How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14887
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Pug eats grapes with me, she loves them, she is in my

Customer Question

My Pug eats grapes with me, she loves them, she is in my face or my lap when I eat them and I have been eating grapes for 3-4 months and she has ate a few with me most times I eat them. I read they are poisonous and are toxic to dogs. She has not been vomiting up or had diahrea. Now I am scared for her after reading all this about it Is it possible they dont affect or bother her. I will definitely not be giving her anymor
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I understand that you are concerned about your girl eating grapes as they can be toxic to dogs, but they must eat a certain amount per pound of body weight to get sick.

Grapes can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, then increased water consumption, lethargy, and kidney failure in dogs, but the toxicity is dose dependent meaning a big dog would have to eat more than a small dog.

Some dogs are more sensitive than others but a toxic dose is usually 3 grapes per kilogram of body weight (3 grapes per 2.2 pounds).

In very sensitive dogs they report that dangerous doses begin at about 0.18 ounces of grapes per pound of dog weight. That’s 1.8 ounces (one or two grapes) for a 10-pound dog, and 3.6 ounces (three or four grapes) for a 20-pound dog.

Raisins: About 0.07 ounces of raisins per pound of dog weight may be toxic. In real terms, that’s a mere 0.7 ounces of raisins for a 10-pound dog, and 1.4 ounces for a 20-pound dog.

I understand there is a lot of conflicting information out there. To be safe we recommend no grapes. But they do need to eat a certain minimal amount per pound of body weight.

If a dog eats grapes, even if the owner thinks that they only ate a few I always recommend that owners watch their pups for vomiting and/or diarrhea several hours later just in case the pup ate more then you thought she did. Signs of toxicity usually occur with 12 to 24 hours, but in some cases it takes up to 48 hours. Further signs of toxicity include lethargy, lack of appetite, abdominal pain, increased water consumption and finally lack of urine production.

I tell owners if they see vomiting and diarrhea with any amount of grapes fed we need to get them on intravenous fluids to protect the kidneys.

In short grapes are sweet, and most dogs have a huge sweet tooth so they love them. But they can be toxic, so I don't recommend that you give them to your girl any more. I don't think you've done any damage with the few she's eaten, but I am pleased she won't be eating any more.

Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara