Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Just gave a 25 lb mixed bread 6 year old male dog an 50 mg

Customer Question

Just gave a 25 lb mixed bread 6 year old male dog an 50 mg dose of remidil by mistake. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Just to be clear was this the human drug Remidil { Rifampicin } or the dog drug Rimadyl.

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it was the dog version rimadyl

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. This is no cause for concern, Little Man should be just fine and there are no special measures you need take.

2. You see the usual dose rate for this drug would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight twice a day orally, or 2 mg per pound given once once a day. So a typical one off dose for a 25 pound dog would be 50 mg which was the dose Little Man took, as this was within the prescribing guidelines he should be just fine.

3. You can read more on how this drug is used in dogs and conform the above dose rates HERE

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for quick response. I can go to sleep now;))

Hello again ,

No problem very glad to have advised you. I should be available online for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if Little Man's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Bill,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Little Man. How is everything going?