Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 5 year old Bernese Mountain dog with extremely dry

Customer Question

Hello! I have a 5 year old Bernese Mountain dog with extremely dry skin. I've had him to the vet who stated it was fleas. He's since been treated, bathed, etc. but the dry patches continue. I feed him Iams Salmon for a month now. Any suggestions? He is on Rimadyl and tramadol for his legs, Cosequin and Glucosamine daily through Smartpak.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Now if your lad has dry skin despite your treatments, I would suggest making sure he is also being supplemented with essential fatty acids (EFA). EFA’s are the fats that are part of skin cell composition and play a role in our pet's health and coat growth. As well, we often use these therapeutically in the management of a number of dog skin disorders. To ensure your lad is getting enough EFA's, I'd advise a trial for 4-6 weeks on a fish oil supplementation (Omega 3 & 6) .We usually dose this as 20mg per pound of their body weight. Or if he is keen on fish, you can also offer small volume of fresh salmon weekly with his current diet. In either case, fish oils will help his skin and also has an anti-inflammatory effect which can help joints as well. Finally, just in case he isn't keen on fish, then there are OTC alternatives available at vets, pet stores, and even online. The two we commonly use are Viacutin or Yumega. So, one of the above would be ideal here for your lad's skin.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet