Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 7 month old Labrador got a hold of an m80 firework and

Customer Question

My 7 month old Labrador got a hold of an m80 firework and was chewing on it she may have ingested some of the gunpowder but we're not sure. It was a homemade one and had maybe tablespoons worth of gunpowder in it and there was still some in the cage and on her feet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tenley, golden lab, is acting normal. Allowing her to drink. What to do till vet opens in am. This incedent happened about 10 o'clock
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Xan text or email reply help is ok. Just need to kn9w asap

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. This is an unusual toxin in the dog but I have encountered it before in the past with sporting dogs in the UK. What is very much in your favour is that you have a very large dog so just licking small amounts of the power would be unlikely to cause too much of a problem in my experience.

2. However if this happened within the last hour, say two hours at the absolute most then the best thing would to induce vomiting and try to recover the gunpowder that way, for the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best. LINK

3. But where significant amounts of gunpowder are swallowed { which is a rare event } then there is a danger that the nitrates content can lead to blood changes and effective anaemia, this is your main worry. Other than that gunpowder is irritant to the wall of the stomach and so it may well cause vomitting and diarrhoea.

4. The best thing to do here would to induce vomiting if possible if you are still within the time scale and then monitor your dog and if any odd symptoms occur you should contact your vet without delay, but if she just licked a small amount then this may not be necessary. Your vet would be able to run a quick blood test for anaemia in 48 hours time if you wanted to cover your back and make sure everything was OK.

Here is a link to an accurate article which covers this subject in depth. LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.