Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dogs upper lip on the right side is swollen. Doesn't mind

Customer Question

My dogs upper lip on the right side is swollen. Doesn't mind me touching and checking it it out. Coukd this ba a spider bite???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I have to say that any sudden onset swelling on the face area on a dog including the eyes, lips and nose is typical of an allergic reaction in the dog. This is actually very common and is usually the result of an allergy to an insect bite or sting of some kind.

I am aware that many people treat this with the likes of benadryl, provided your dog is otherwise bright alert and happy then you should do no harm with this class of drug. Here is a link to the use of benadryl in the dog including dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK

However if this is a reaction to an insect bite the swelling would be likely to go down over a 48 hour period without treatment anyway.

But if Rusyy deteriorates or becomes more unwell in any way, or there are other symptoms other than the facial swelling and itchy skin or it does not quickly resolve you should consult your vet as soon as is practicable.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.