Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog keeps shaking her ear like she has something in it.

Customer Question

My dog keeps shaking her ear like she has something in it. Ive looked inside & didnt see anything. A cple of times ive put a drop of peroxide in her ear . And it seems to help for awhile. Was wondering if ear drops w antibiotics would help or harm her ? Thank You. TJ
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

It's fairly common for pets to get overgrowth of yeast or bacteria that live inside the ear normally. When a pet has an ear infection, they usually show it by shaking their head, scratching at their ear, or rubbing their ear on things. Sometimes there can be significant build up of wax and debris visible in the ear, but sometimes it takes an otoscopic exam at the vet to identify the issue.

If you see significant wax or redness inside the ear, you can use a commercially available ear cleanser purchased through your vet or a pet store to lightly flush the debris out. Sometimes this is all that's needed to help the situation. I usually hold off on the peroxide just in case there's an area of ulceration (rawness) inside the ear that I can't see - in that case peroxide could be very painful. If she is in significant discomfort or there is a lot of redness or swelling of her canal, it's definitely best to have her examined by her vet.

Sometimes they can be just itchy in the ear canal from things like allergies. The only way to definitively rule out an infection, though, is to have her examined by your vet.

Sure hope that this is helpful!!!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tj Bryant,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Precious. How is everything going?
Doc Sara