Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 80lb alaskin malamute ate about half lb of chocalate

Customer Question

my 80lb alaskin malamute ate about half lb of chocalate fudge and half pound of vanilla fudge how bad is it for him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The fudges contain mostly sugar and the fact that he weighs 80lb is very protective against the effects of theobromine ingestion. Theobromine is the xanthine derivative found in chocolate similar to caffeine which can cause agitation and tremors when ingested in sufficient quantity. That quantity, however, is an ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight (5 lbs for him) or 1/3 of an ounce of dark chocolate per pound of body weight (1.7 lbs for him). He may experience transient GI distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea - from his inappropriate ingestion but toxicity isn't expected. (White fudge doesn't contain chocolate at all.)

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?