Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I just rescued a dog from a shelter with separation anxiety

Customer Question

I just rescued a dog from a shelter with separation anxiety would benedryl help with his problem when I have to go to work until I can take him to my vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
This is not uncommon in rescue dogs. This is very stressful for these guys being handed to other people who are strangers to them. The best thing to do is to give Benadryl at 1 to 2 mg per pound prior to leaving the house and keep Willie in a carrier while you are at work. He will be drowsy and the crate will become his security area.
Here are some tips to help Willie:
1. Purchase a DAP Collar (Dog Appeasement Pheromone) at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety.
2. Purchase Rescue Remedy at the pet store. This is another anti anxiety herbal medication.
3. Carry a coke can with pennies and when Willie is whining, shake the can loudly and say a strong NO!
4. If you have the time, take him back to a good obedience school. This will help make you the "Alpha" dog and he will be more apt to listen to you.
5. Purchase long lasting toys such as a Kong.
6. Take Willie for more walks...exercise will decrease this stress.
Your vet has stronger anti anxiety medication used specifically for Separation Anxiety that will help Willie past this behavior if the collar or herbal remedies are not enough. This helps to hasten the process.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Walter Skellen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Willie. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta