Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
This is not uncommon in rescue dogs. This is very stressful for these guys being handed to other people who are strangers to them. The best thing to do is to give Benadryl at 1 to 2 mg per pound prior to leaving the house and keep Willie in a carrier while you are at work. He will be drowsy and the crate will become his security area.
Here are some tips to help Willie:
1. Purchase a DAP Collar (Dog Appeasement Pheromone) at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety.
2. Purchase Rescue Remedy at the pet store. This is another anti anxiety herbal medication.
3. Carry a coke can with pennies and when Willie is whining, shake the can loudly and say a strong NO!
4. If you have the time, take him back to a good obedience school. This will help make you the "Alpha" dog and he will be more apt to listen to you.
5. Purchase long lasting toys such as a Kong.
6. Take Willie for more walks...exercise will decrease this stress.
Your vet has stronger anti anxiety medication used specifically for Separation Anxiety that will help Willie past this behavior
if the collar or herbal remedies are not enough. This helps to hasten the process.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****