Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dogs stomach has been making loud noises about 4 am

Customer Question

my dogs stomach has been making loud noises about 4 am everyday this week. This is just before her breakfast by an hour so. Last night and this morning she threw up. We can't seem to find anything that she may have gotten into to upset her stomach?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Has there been any change her her feeding routine (especially at night)?
Any change of diet or volume of food fed ?
What does Baylee's vomit look like? Yellow or frothy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There has been no change in diet at all. The stomach is like a growing noise. Her throw up was frothy and a little yellow. She actually just ran out back and had diarrhea. I checked and the coloring was normal and didn't have blood or anything like that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
growling
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Based on all of Baylee's signs, this is highly suggestive of bilious vomiting syndrome. This is a condition that we commonly seen in dogs that can occur at any age. It arises when their gall bladder jumps the gun, secretes bile before the dog has even eaten and this abnormally enters the stomach from the intestine. This causes stomach upset (which can make it grumble and growl) and the dog will often vomit the contents of their empty stomach (bile or frothy saliva). In a way, its her gastrointestinal tract getting carried away in its anticipation to eat.
To tackle this condition, we can try a few tricks for Baylee. First, you can try and feed her right before bedtime or leave food down for her so she has access to food earlier in the morning (ideally prior to her vomiting time). We tend to find that reducing the amount of time the stomach is empty can settle this problem.
Otherwise, for very sensitive stomached dogs, we can counter the nausea associated with this by treating with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). These should be administered before bedtime to ensure they are in effect during those early hours for her. And of course, this shouldn’t be used if she is on any medication or has a pre-existing condition without speaking to her vet.
Overall, these can be signs triggered by a range of agents. Still, based on the timing and all her signs, we'd be most suspicious of bilous vomiting syndrome with your lass. So, do consider taking the above steps to that prevent stomach irritation from her bile.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! :
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Baylee. How is everything going?
nekovet