Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a 11 year old lab. about a month ago he started

Customer Question

I have a 11 year old lab. about a month ago he started having trouble getting up. once he is up he seems to walk ok except for stairs,these he has trouble with.
I took him to my vet and they said it was arthritis. I had all the blood work done and it came back negative. they gave me Rimadyl and Dasuquin. They seem to have little effect.
My dog is not over weight (65 lbs.) and has always gotten plenty of exercise. it just seems that arthritis would come on slowly and this seems to have come on all at once.
any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
If your vet did perform xrays to diagnose the arthritis, then this is most likely the cause for sweet Jasper's condition. This can occur all of a sudden since extra bone development will cause an interference with the nerve supply due to Inflammation. Since the medications have not helped much, there is also a possibility of a ligament problem such as a ruptured ACL in Jasper's knee that could cause this.
Add a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin that can be purchased at the pet store and see if that will help since it adds lubrication to her joints. If this does not help, have your vet examine her again since there are conditions such as DEgenerative Myelopathy that will cause this degeneration and will not respond to medications.
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/c_dg_degenerative_myelopathy
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jasper. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta