Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 14 year old dog is panting, whining, and pacing

Customer Question

My 14 year old dog is panting, whining, and pacing continuously around the house. Is there over the counter medicine I can give to help?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- What your dog's breed and sex?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been about three days now. No medical conditions. Today he tried to vomit but could not. No diarreah but his last stool was softer than usual. He is a large breed male I believe chowchow and pitt mix
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Is he eating and drinking?

2- Any abdominal swelling?

3- Does he have trouble getting up the floor, going up stairs or walking?

4- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He hasn't been eating as much as normal but is drinking.do not see abdominal swelling and has been getting around like normal his gums seemed normal when i checked them
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes while I type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, when a dog is behaving the you are describing is often related to being in some type of discomfort or pain. The fact that he is/was trying to vomit and is not showing any symptoms involving his neuromuscular system I am inclined to believe this could be related to abdominal pain. In this case, to determine the exact underlying cause he will need a hands on examination by family veterinarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. In the meantime you can start him on Pepcid AC 0.1-0.2 mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy. Do Not give over the counter pain killers until he is seen by a veterinarian. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter