Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

What are causes dog to vomit. Have a 7 year old Yorkie poo

Customer Question

What are causes for a dog to vomit. Have a 7 year old Yorkie poo (grand dog) who got sick between 7-9 am this morning and apx. same time yesterday morning. Otherwise playful and does not appear to have a temp. Started after going to the groomer.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Was this before or after breakfast?
What did the vomit look like?
Can she keep water down?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Has she had any diarrhea?
Did her groomer use a neck lead to keep Lola on her table?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All has happened before breakfast. She has been drinking tons of water however it has been very warm here. She has not eaten anything odd nor any diarrhea. Does not appear to have tummy discomfort but has been holding one paw up often the past two days. Yes they did use a neck lead at the groomer. As for vomit...looks like dog food or treats.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now if this started after her visit to the groomer, we do need to consider that this could be related but it could also be a red herring. If another dog at the groomer had a GI bug, this could have been passed to Lola. Of course, anywhere she has been in contact with other dogs or where dogs have been, could also be an issue. As well, if she perhaps pulled to hard on her neck lead during grooming, she may have cause herself some throat irritation.
In any case, as long as she is bright in herself and this vomiting is quite mild, we can consider some supportive care for her at this stage. To start, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose for her, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.
Further to this, we can reduce any nausea that Lola has by also treating with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your lass has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Of course, while using these we do want to keep an eye on her thirst (which is fine to be elevated if it is warm just now). And as long as she settles with the above, we'd be happy. Though if it lingers over 24-48 hours, then we'd want to consider a check with her vet. They can assess her throat sensitivity and determine if she has picked up any bacterial or viral agents. Depending on their findings, they can start antibiotics +/- anti-inflammatories (if the throat is irritated) to help settle her signs and get her back to normal.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try this diet. She really does not eat much regardless! As I said she is my grand dog and I will not allow anything to happen to her. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
Well, we'd not want anything to happen to her no matter what. So, do try to tempt her with the light diet. Otherwise, if she does seem fussy, then we can use the antacid to tackle any nausea lurking here for her.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are awesome...thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.