Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I just adopted a 9 week old puppy from a shelter. He has

Customer Question

I just adopted a 9 week old puppy from a shelter. He has been fixed and given all shots except rabies. He is drinking more water than I think is normal and won't hardly eat. I'm very worried that he may be sick. He has vommited a 2 times and one was solid and one was liquid.
He is on blue buffalo puppy chow, 1 cup a day according to the bag.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
There is a good chance that all of this stress on such a young puppy has caused a mild digestive disturbance. If this is the case, follow these instructions:
Fast Tucker for 12-24 hrs which he is doing himself to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)
If the vomiting has resolved, then wean Tucker back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take him back to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an infection from the suppressed immune system or a blockage or Intusuception.
During this time, make sure you supplement him with Pedialyte every 4-6 hrs to be sure he remains hydrated.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Loretta,When he got home from the shelter he drank a good bit of water. He's also been very, very sleepy so I've been keeping him on calm playing and come crate rest even. Thank you so much for your insight! This is a picture of Tucker. He's about 9.1 pounds.
OMG!! He is sooo cute...no wonder you worry so much!! This is so young for these procedures and the vaccines themselves will make him sleepy. I really believe that this stress has caused this and it s minor but, if he does not respond, please have your vet examine him again to be sure. They are so fragile at this age and better to be safe....
How could anyone resist that face???!!!! :))))
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again! You've made
Me feel so much better. I haven't had a puppy this young in 15 years so it's been a while for me. When I got him I knew he had not been cared for effiencently which had me worried from the beginning. I just want my sweet baby boy to be healthy. Thanks again!!!
You are very welcome! I am sure, with your love and care, that your sweet Tucker will do well.