Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has a cut on the outside of her mouth. I can't get it

Customer Question

My dog has a cut on the outside of her mouth. I can't get it to stop bleeding. Any suggestions? Small cut about 1/2 inch
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Facial wounds can bleed profusely. First, we all need to be calm. Her elevated blood pressure will actually increase how much she bleeds from this. Now if the bleeding looks to be pumping or squirting from the wound, that would tell us that an arteriole may have been cut and we'd need to have this seen. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** aid, we need to place constant pressure (using a piece of gauze or a wash cloth) on the would for at least 15 minutes. Ice can be used (by placing it on the other side of the washcloth from the wound) to constrict the local blood vessels and slow bleeding.
Otherwise, you can use styptic powder (from the pet store), corn flour/corn starch, or even plain flour to help clot the wound. This will act as a matrix for the blood's platelets and help it to form a clot and stop actively bleeding quicker. This of course needs to be left on until we are sure that the bleeding has subsided (and once well clotted, we can clean/apply topical antibiotics as needed).
Overall, we need to apply good, constant pressure to this just now and start the above. If you find that the blood is squirting out, she is distressed, or this is bleeding more then the above to slow; then we'd have an urgent situation where we'd need your local vet to tie off +/- cauterize these vessels while repairing the wound for her under sedation.
Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via
http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet