Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has megaesophasus and has a chesty pleghm cough, when

Customer Question

My dog has megaesophasus and has a chesty pleghm cough, when he vomits its riddled with food and large amounts of clear and White pleghm... Is it an infection
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
A dog with megaesophagus coughing as you've described should be assumed to be suffering from aspiration pneumonia until proven otherwise. These dogs need to have their chest X-rays in order to assess the severity of pneumonia and to have a broad spectrum antibiotic or combination of antibiotics administered at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually don't think it is pnemonia he's had this condition for 2 years, there is no wheezing, only phlegm and only the cough sometimes not continuous, it has a sickly sweet smell to it...
The only manner in which to know for sure is to have Dutchy X-rayed. The "sickly sweet smell" is likely due to fermentation in food retained in his esophagus. Acid reflux up into Dutchy's oropharynx can also cause coughing but we shouldn't assume that that's the case at this time. The most common cause of death in dogs with megaesophagus is aspiration pneumonia.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I've just been to the vet and he thinks he's got another disease like cancer on top and we should just put him down, thanks for your answer though..

Oh my goodness. My condolences in advance. You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.