Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Mastiff Puppy ate 20 omeprazole 40mg capsules. What should

Customer Question

Mastiff Puppy ate 20 omeprazole 40mg capsules. What should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

That is a lot of omeprazole! Although it likely will only result in gi upset (vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, reduced appetite, increased cramping/ gas), if your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting then monitoring for signs of gi upset listed above, feeding smaller more frequent meals with white rice and lean meat such as boiled chicken as a precaution for a few days and if the gi upset does not resolve within 24 hours please seek veterinary attention. In addition, if he does not bring them up please have your veterinarian run some basic bloodwork on Monday since the medication is metabolized by the liver and kidneys to ensure there were no issues with metabolizing the medications...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is Blue doing today? I would love an update!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!