Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I just picked up a mini dachshund to. No info on story at

Customer Question

I just picked up a mini dachshund to foster. No info on history at all. One eyeball is a little cloudy and seems swollen. I am looking for an after hours clinic to take her but don't know if there is one anywhere nearby. I am out in the country. Any advice???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Congrats on your new foster! Just to clarify is the eye itself swollen or bulging or is the eyelid swollen?

If you have a regular vet then I would start by calling them (or a local veterinarian in the phone book) and often they will list what to do in case of an emergency on their voice mail.

If this is not an option my recommendations are:

- Saline flush for contact lenses to flush the eye
- Artificial tears ointment available at your local pharmacy over the counter to keep the eye lubricated
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to reduce swelling and itch (may sedate)
- Limit rubbing as much as possible.
- Cool compress to the area to reduce the itch and edema

If the eye itself is bulging then this is a true emergency and I would do my best to find a veterinary er to ensure that the pressure of the eye is not elevated indicating glaucoma which requires topical medications and even iv medications to treat successfully

I hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am online an additional 10 minutes if I can answer any additional questions or concerns...
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Foster. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman