Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have a miniture Schnauser. s pad on s front right foot is

Customer Question

I have a miniture Schnauser. His pad on his front right foot is
Cut & has been for about 3 weeks. My Vet said their is no cure
for this. Just keep it clean and bandaged..Is their anything I can do to repair
it? I clean it about 3 or 4 times a day & bandage it. It stills bleed. Is their any
medicine I can give him or any solutions to put on it to help cure it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Sammy. Is this cut only in the paw pad? Is it in the skin too? Is he on any medications at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only in paw pad. It bleeds, so it must be in the skin,Yes he takes1/4 tablet by mouth every 8-12 hours as
needed for pain. It is Tramadol 50 mg tablets.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

This is a frustrating situation. I'm going to be honest here and say that paw pad lacerations are frustrating. The paw pad on the outer layers is keratinized skin - skin that is dead that has built up to provide the paw pad. When it is cut, it doesn't really heal. The living tissue below the cut on the paw pad is what heals. The cut keratinized tissue really doesn't again heal. Here 3 weeks out from the initial injury, I would hope that things are going better than they are. I would be concerned that an infection has started up in the cut. My best recommendation is to have your vet (or a second opinion with another vet) recheck it to see if there is an infection in the deeper tissues that needs oral antibiotics to treat it. As far as the tramadol, that is a decent pain medication but it sounds like he's still sore with it and I would consider an NSAID like Rimadyl to help give him some more relief. Here 3 weeks out, this injury isn't progressing as it should and it needs a second look at by your vet.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sammy. How is everything going?