Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I just found my pitbull with an empty bottle of my xanax

Customer Question

I just found my pitbull with an empty bottle of my xanax prescription which previously had had least 12, 2mg pills. HELP!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your dog and the bottle of Xanax. I'm so sorry this has happened, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.

This is one of those situations where I must say emphatically this is a MEDICAL EMERGENCY.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Your dog needs emergency medical attention absolutely as soon as possible. It's also important that your dog be made to throw up absolutely as soon as possible.

The safest way to do this is in the hands of an experienced vet at your closest emergency clinic. If that is more than 20 or 30 minutes away, however, it's better to proceed with making her vomit at home.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Inducing vomiting at home can be done with FRESH hydrogen peroxide. Please be advised this is not without risk, and do NOT use more than the prescribed amount.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

My advice to you is get to an emergency room as soon as possible.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

If you choose to induce vomiting at home, dosing information for using FRESH hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting is widely available online. I cannot advise you to do this, but can let you know the dose is 1-5 ml of hydrogen peroxide for every kilogram of body weight, NOT TO EXCEED 45ml per dose. You may repeat it after ten minutes if it is not effective. Many times it is not effective. That's another reason why it's best to get to the ER right away.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Again, I'm really sorry this has happened. I want to be as helpful as possible as you go through this difficult situation.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've ACCEPTED my answer and rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm just checking in to ask how things are going with your dog. I've been really worried about you both. Have you been able to get her the medical attention she needs?
Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo