Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I am at my in-laws and my father-in-law just dropped a

Customer Question

Hi. I am at my in-laws and my father-in-law just dropped a PreserVision pill on the floor and ate it. She is a 9-week old puppy and we do not have a vet yesterday as we just got her 2 days ago and are out of town. Can you tell me what I should do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Can you read my replies on your first copy of this question?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
From your previous post:
My 9-week puppy just ate a PreserVision pill (1 soft gel pill contains Vitamin C (226 mg), Vitamin E (200 U), Zinc (348 mg), Copper (.8 mg) and Lutein (5 mg). Other ingredients: gelatin, glycerin, soybean oil, soy lecithin, yellow beeswax, silicon dioxide, FD&C Red #40/FE&C Blue #1)
15 Aug 2015, 2:27 PM
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Lilly. I'm so sorry she's done this, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
Can you please tell me Lilly's approximate weight while I look up the information I need to decide if this a potentially toxic dose of any of these items. If it is, you'll want to get her to the closest emergency vet (safest bet) or use fresh hydrogen peroxide at home to induce vomiting.
For a start, we know Vitamin C won't be toxic. It's water soluble.
Secondly, a healthy gut controls copper absorption really well, so the copper isn't an issue.
15 Aug 2015, 2:33 PM
Me
Toxic doses of zinc are well over 200mg/kg of body weight. That means as long as Lilly weighs more than five pounds this is not expected to be a problem. As a 9-week old westie, however, I can see her weighing less than that. Please let me know.
15 Aug 2015, 2:35 PM
Me
The toxic dose for Vitamin E is over 1000IU/kg of body weight. So as long as Lilly weighs more than 6 ounces, she's well in the safe zone.
And lutein is not very toxic.
Aside from some mild GI symptoms (maybe a little appetite loss, mild vomiting, mild diarrhea), I would not expect this to be a problem.
Are you still there? Please type in a short reply.
I see you've posted your question a second time. Can you please reply with the approximate weight of your puppy? I don't think swallowing this pill is going to cause much of a problem, but I want to be certain.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Because inducing vomiting is not without risk, especially for such a young puppy, I would not advise doing so. It is not at all likely ingesting this table will make Lilly sick other than a little digestive upset.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've ACCEPTED my answer and rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.
If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm just checking in to ask how things are going with your puppy. I've been worried, but hopeful she is doing just fine by now.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lilly. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo