From your previous post:
My 9-week puppy just ate a PreserVision pill (1 soft gel pill contains Vitamin C (226 mg), Vitamin E (200 U), Zinc (348 mg), Copper (.8 mg) and Lutein (5 mg). Other ingredients: gelatin, glycerin, soybean oil, soy lecithin, yellow beeswax, silicon dioxide, FD&C Red #40/FE&C Blue #1)
15 Aug 2015, 2:27 PM
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Lilly. I'm so sorry she's done this, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
Can you please tell me Lilly's approximate weight while I look up the information I need to decide if this a potentially toxic
dose of any of these items. If it is, you'll want to get her to the closest emergency vet (safest bet) or use fresh hydrogen peroxide at home to induce vomiting.
For a start, we know Vitamin C won't be toxic. It's water soluble.
Secondly, a healthy gut controls copper absorption really well, so the copper isn't an issue.
15 Aug 2015, 2:33 PM
Toxic doses of zinc are well over 200mg/kg of body weight. That means as long as Lilly weighs more than five pounds this is not expected to be a problem. As a 9-week old westie, however, I can see her weighing less than that. Please let me know.
15 Aug 2015, 2:35 PM
The toxic dose for Vitamin E is over 1000IU/kg of body weight. So as long as Lilly weighs more than 6 ounces, she's well in the safe zone.
And lutein is not very toxic.
Aside from some mild GI symptoms (maybe a little appetite loss, mild vomiting, mild diarrhea), I would not expect this to be a problem.
Are you still there? Please type in a short reply.
I see you've posted your question a second time. Can you please reply with the approximate weight of your puppy? I don't think swallowing this pill is going to cause much of a problem, but I want to be certain.