Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have a 50lb border collie// husky mix...she has seasonal

Customer Question

I have a 50lb border collie// husky mix...she has seasonal allergies that start every July/Aug..she chews her back feet until they are raw..what can I give her as I can't afford a vet visit right now ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

This is a tough question! The most common infection to set into the paws is a yeast infection, secondary to the underlying allergy (likely seasonal allergy which is atopic dermatitis). Ultimately prescription medication will clear this fastest but I can make some suggestions you can certainly try over the next few days to weeks until you can have her seen.

What could you try at home? If she was my patient and you were unable to have her seen right away I might recommend you try:

1)Continue an antihistamine such as (choose one): Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg at 1 mg per 10 pounds every 12 hours OR Claritin OTC (if over 25 lbs give 1 tablet every 12 hours)

2)Bath in a good anti fungal shampoo such as Nizoral (in the dandruff shampoo section for people at most pharmacies) every 2 to 3 days. When you bathe, lather and let stand in contact with skin for 5-10 minutes before rinsing thoroughly

3)Start on a fish oil supplement (this is anti-inflammatory over about 4-6 weeks)

4) If she has defined "spots" on her skin, not paws, then you can safely apply neosporin or other triple antibiotic ointment/cream twice daily. Try to keep her from licking to allow it time to work.

No problem continuing the prednisone as previously directed (remember not to combine with any non steroidal antiinflammatory medications such as aspirin).

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.