Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My schitzu has been able to sit. He walks fine ... Maybe a

Customer Question

My schitzu has been able to sit. He walks fine ... Maybe a slower. Seems to even have a difficult time finding a comfortable way to lay down but does lie down. Has been barking and whining occasionally and we can't figure out why
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

There are certainly several potential causes for the behavior you describe. My top suspicion would be Valentine has a neck or back injury which is causing pain. This is our most common cause of difficulty moving up/down and crying out at random. This would be an emergency if he is losing the ability to coordinate his hind end. Then you need to take him in to be seen right now to prevent the progression.

Alternatively, he could be having joint issues (hips, other joints) which can come from many problems ranging from inflammation/infection to dysplasia. An exam by your vet should be able to isolate pain and then an X-ray may help elucidate its cause better.

I really wish I could provide you with an exact diagnosis, but I too would need to perform an exam and some testing (at least radiographs or X-rays) to know what is going on. So, the absolute best next step is for him to be examined by his veterinarian.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is walking about the house like if nothing but then will stop and cry out. But tail is still wagging. He does refuse to do go outside which he normally enjoys. Do you feel this is emergency and we should take him somewhere immediately
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this random crying out is most commonly seen with back or neck pain, especially neck. :(

The question of emergency is tricky. He is able to coordinate all his limbs, which means he does not need emergency surgery, but this is terribly painful. There is no good over-the-counter products to treat this which I can recommend. So, from a pain perspective, I do recommend you have him examined today.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Valentine. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey