Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

About two hours ago my 7.5 month old lab who weighs 50 lbs

Customer Question

About two hours ago my 7.5 month old lab who weighs 50 lbs ate part of a plastic water bottle and we think he ate the cap as well. He seems fine right now but we are very worried. What should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry no one has yet to assist you both today. Unfortunately it is too late even when you asked the question to induce vomiting but there are things you can do to hopefully help move things along in the next few days so that the plastic will come out the other end...
1.) Feed a nice meal with a mixture of white rice which is a bulking agent and hopefully will bind and push through the plastic
2.) Take a nice walk to help move the plastic through tonight and again tomorrow. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion
3.) Tomorrow morning repeat the white rice with the meal again to help bulk up the plastic to hopefully push them through and protect the edges from causing damage
4.) Monitor for signs of the plastic coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours
This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if they pass on their own but if there is any reduced appetite, vomiting, straining to defecate it is time to have a veterinary exam and x-ray to ensure there is not an obstruction from this ingestion
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!