Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog just came home from the vet yesterday. He had eaten a

Customer Question

My dog just came home from the vet yesterday. He had eaten a diaper and part of it xaused a blockage. They gave him barium and did multiple exrays. He waa eating fine yesterday and the exrays showed the materials to have moved to the colon. He poped once for them and once for us last night. This morning he is trying but not pooping and not eating. The vet is closed until monday. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
There is always a possibility that the remainder of this material may have caused a blockage in the colon. The only thing you can do for now is to give Droopy a laxative to help slide this material through. You can give Droopy mineral or vegetable oil, 4 tablespoons every 4 hrs. If this continues and there is no progress after 6-8 hrs, you may be forced to take Droopy to an ER vet to be safe. If left for a longer period of time, this could burst and this will be life threatening. Watch Droopy closely during this period of time to be sure that it is not getting worse.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
I'm just following up on our conversation about Droopy. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta