Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 31 pound beagle mix 9 month old puppy just ate about 6

Customer Question

Hi, my 31 pound beagle mix 9 month old puppy just ate about 6 cups of our other dogs food, what do I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, it is very likely that nothing will happen to your puppy. I would recommend to remove the food overnight; water is ok as long as there is no vomiting. Observe him for any vomiting or diarrhea. If he develops gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for 1-2 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep him indoors in a cool room when fasting.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep him on this diet for several days then wean him back into his regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination; for now just observe him as described above.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had not thrown up or anything, what happens when a 9 month old puppy overeats that much?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Did you read my above response?