Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog is a 14-year-old Pomeranian mix who was recently

Customer Question

My dog is a 14-year-old Pomeranian mix who was recently diagnosed with Cushing's via an ACTH stimulation test. Our veterinarian would like to do an ultrasound for $700. We would not pursue a surgery if a tumor were found. My question therefore is if the treatment for adrenal and pituitary Cushing syndrome in dogs is the same. And therefore, what is the value of the ultrasound ? Thx.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Your logic is exactly correct. We recommend the abdominal ultrasound because this is the right thing to do. It is good medicine. It can help us to know if there is an adrenal tumor, and then if present we would want to do surgery. If you already know you would elect medication over surgery, then you could opt out of the ultrasound.And, if you have definitive confirmation of hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing's syndrome) with an ACTH stimulation test, then there is no problem with starting a conservative dose of trilostane and then repeating the ACTH stim test in 10-14 days.

Other value to the ultrasound is to evaluate any other areas of "issue" Cody may be having. For example, if he has urinary problems then looking at the urinary system especially for bladder stones is important as these guys are very prone to bladder stones with his breed and Cushing's syndrome.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cody. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey