Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have an italian greyhound. She can not put any weight on

Customer Question

I have an italian greyhound. She can not put any weight on her front leg. She lives in the house. I looked and her toe seems swollen close to her nail?.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

There are many possible causes of sudden onset swollen toe. If truly close to her nail, then please be sure to palpate her nail to ensure it is not torn and then secondarily infected. If for sure not torn, then she may have fractured/broken her toe as is common with these guys. They like to tear around the yard like crazy and then injure toes. Alternatively, it may not be a fracture and depending on her age, we could never rule out a tumor (worst case scenario) and more likely if she is older; an X-ray would be the only way to know for sure. Or, there are some forms of bone infection that can cause the same symptoms.

The absolute best next step is to have her seen by her veterinarian as soon as you can arrange this for an exam and the like likely radiographs (X-rays). The X-rays will help narrow down the list of possible problems. And, your vet can prescribe safe, appropriate pain relief medication. There are not any great over-the-counter pain medications I can recommend because they first do not provide good pain control (really speaking of aspirin which is the only OTC product available) and it will likely interact with the drug your vet may prescribe.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.