Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 75 pound, 2 year old dog chewed on and ingested an ant

Customer Question

my 75 pound, 2 year old dog chewed on and ingested an ant trap yesterday and has had diarrhea and has vomited several times since. He was already not feeling well after chewing his bone on a recently fertilized lawn on Monday...it has not been a good week for my little boy. Is this dangerous or just a painful bout?
thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Did Brady eat the trap itself? What was it made of?
Do you think it was chewed to small pieces or large ones?
Can he keep any food or water down?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
What color are his stools? Any straining?
Do you know what active ingredient was in the bait?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not sure exactly what was in the trap but he chewed it but did not swallow any of the trap itself.
He can keep down food and water...although he has diarrhea.
Gums are pink and moist
no reaction when I press his belly
stools are a dark brown liquid
I couldn't find the package with the active ingredient
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still with me?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank goodness!!
I am very glad to hear that Brady didn't eat the trap itself. The reason is because that tends to actually be the biggest problem since non-edible plastic can cause GI blockages and damage.
Now it'd be ideal to know what he has had but I would note that ant traps rarely have enough toxin to cause dogs serious harm. This is because they usually predominately contain food material (ie peanut butter, bread crumbs, etc) to lure the ants and then enough toxin to poison ant sized invaders. So, GI upset (diarrhea, appetite loss, vomiting) tend to be what we have to treat in these cases.
With that in mind, if he is showing any nausea at this stage, I would note that we can start treatment with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Once that is on board, we can start Brady on a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And by offering a diet that is easy to digest, we can often reduce the diarrhea volume as well.
Finally, to address the diarrhea itself, I would note that we can use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p) from your local pharmacy for him. Otherwise, Protexin Pro-Fiber, Propectalin, or Fast Balance (which is available OTC at vet practices) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and these last few the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. Just to note, we'd avoid Immodium or Pepto Bismol here in his case. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe his upset GI.
Overall, it does sound like Brady has had a tough week. His GI upset fits with both this exposure but also the fertilizer too. But that all said, we'd want to use the above to soothe his GI upset while keeping a close eye on him. As long as he didn't sneak any of the trap itself nor eat loads of fertilizer, we'd not expect this to lead to any severe or lasting issues for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
PS- Thank you for being patient, as you can see I had quite a bit to type for Brady.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks you very much!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
All the best for Brady,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)