Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our older black lab has a hematoma on her ear flap. How can

Customer Question

Our older black lab has a hematoma on her ear flap. How can we treat it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear that your dog has what is called an aural hematoma. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition.

Your options are:
- Medical management:

1.) if there is a foreign body in the ear or an infection treating that which is what caused the head shaking resulting in the aural hematoma formation.

2.) Beginning with cleaning the ear with 50/50 white vinegar and water every other day and cotton balls to remove the debris and infection. No q-tips!
3.) Preventing further damage to the ear with shaking with a stockinette on the head to limit movement of the ear. Medications topically and orally, stockinette, and e-collar are available through your veterinarian once a diagnosis of the cause of the shaking is made to get her more comfortable
4.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to reduce the itch and hopefully get her more comfortable. This may cause mild sedation

This process can take 4+ weeks to resolve

Surgery:

Unfortunately just removing the fluid from the ear or draining the ear fluid will not be effective and these often return within 24 hours of attempts to do just this. Surgery involved suturing the two flaps together so that there is scarring and minimizing relapse as a result. Sutures typically will stay in 3 weeks prior to resolving this condition

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!