Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Is my dog's paw infected? He has this black crust between s

Customer Question

Is my dog's paw infected? He has this black crust between his toes and on the underside of his paw. Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
How long has the crust been present?
What does it smell like?
Has Cannoli been chewing or licking his feet?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't really smelled anything, and I haven't observed him overly licking his feet, or limping. I know he is due for a nail trim. The crust has been present I would say for 2 weeks, I just thought his paw was dirty, and I had cleaned it out. I have attached two photos. I hope this helps!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Based on your photos, Cannoli looks to have a mild yeast overgrowth here. We can see this related to the feet being mild irritated (related to an allergy or irritating substrate), if the feet have been left a bit moist (usually due to licking but not always), or secondary to other immunosuppressive conditions (less likely if he is otherwise well).
Since this appears mild, you can consider bathing his feet with a over the counter Chlorohexidine based shampoo. Ideally, we want to use one that has 1% or stronger. Alternatively, you can even use chlorohexidine wipes (ie MalaKet, Keto Hex, etc). And I would note that all should be available OTC at your vets, pet store, or online (Amazon does carry a range of these as well). Alternatively, you can also use a shampoo with the active ingredients of benzoyl peroxide, sulfur, or ketoconazole have also been used.
Overall, this just looks to be a mild overgrowth or yeast causing this discharge/material. So with this being mild, we can use the above to discourage the yeast from proliferating. Of course, if this doesn't settle or became any more severe, then we'd want his vet to treat him with oral anti-fungals and rule out any immunosuppressive issues that would be allowing this to develop.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cannoli. How is everything going?
nekovet