Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a beautiful, five-month old, 40 pound, ginger-colored

Customer Question

I have a beautiful, five-month old, 40 pound, ginger-colored labrador chow mix. Her skin and her hair have always been beautiful. While petting her this evening, I discovered a terrible rash that has popped up on her today. It is all over her tummy; lots of small, red pimply little bumps. She also has larger places as large as a dime on her chest, inner hind quarters, hind legs, and a few bigger ones on her outer hind quarters also. I am concerned about a huge, swollen, red puffy place under her left front "armpit." It is as large as a silver dollar, and I can't imagine what happened. I can't tell if it was a bite, but it appeared simultaneously with all of these other places on her. Inside her mouth looks fine, and she isn't having any breathing problems. Abbie is on heartworm and flea/tick protection. She is totally flea free.
She isn't quite her usual playful self tonight, but has been nibbling on her food all evening (which is the way she normally eats). Today, she ate (for the first time), 2 or 3 kids' Goldfish crackers that friends gave her, with my okay. I also gave her a small, beefhide, chicken-flavored stick, and she also swiped one from my other dog. She has had these before. During the day, she also had two small, Purina Beggin' Poppers, which are bacon and cheese (cheddar and Monterey Jack) flavors. I think it was her first time for these. I'm including this information in case her rash is food related. I hope you can assist me. Is Benadryl appropriate for a rash such as this, or what should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
Are the "pimples" red topped or white topped?
Do the larger areas look moist or crusty/scaly?
Is she irritated, itchy, or licking the areas?
Can you take a photo of this areas? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.