Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Not eating day. Drinking a lot o water. Sleeping more than

Customer Question

Not eating for 2nd day. Drinking a lot o water. Sleeping more than usual.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Hopefully Max has something very minor but I think on balance it would be better to have Max checked over by a vet at the next opportunity rather than attempting any home remedies. The reason I say this is that drinking excessively would always be quite a cause for concern in the dog, and lethargy and inappetance are often linked to the serious sorts of diseases which can cause excess drinking.

2. Precise diagnosis via the internet is not possible but what I will do though is to talk you through just some of the possible causes of excess drinking [ polydipsia ] that I know. This is the sort of personal list which I use when first presented with a dog with symptoms like yours ...

1. Diabetes mellitus - sugar diabetes - easy diagnosis via blood test
2. Diabetes insipidus - rare but does happen - catches vets out !
3. Kidney problems - diagnosed by blood tests
4. Chronic hepatitis - diagnosed via blood tests
5. Cushings syndrome

Since there is such a range of diagnosis the only advice I can give you is that you should have your dog checked over by your vet sooner rather than later. There is rarely any scope for home remedies in this sort of situation. A quick blood test will very often shed light on the matter.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I realize there could be several diagnosis but I thought you could narrow it down a little more.
I will take to vet for blood test. I feel like your answer was vague but I have limited income and was trying to avoid an expensive vet visit.

Hello again,

Sorry I cannot be more definite, even if I was presented with your dog face to face I could not really comment more until I had carried out a thorough clinical examination and then perhaps a blood panel.

The problem you face is that drinking excessively can sometimes indicate serious disease so a visit to your vet is your best option ...

Good luck with Max.

Dr Scott.