Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My Australian Shepherd is 13 years old and has trouble

Customer Question

my Australian Shepherd is 13 years old and has trouble breathing, she snores too, this has been going on for about a year but the breathing issue has been going on for about a month and a half. Her Vet put her on steroids which only mildly help. Is this typical for an aging dog or could there be a serious problem?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear Angel is having these issues. If it has been ongoing or progressive for a month I would consider having some chest x-rays done to determine the cause of the respiratory changes and if a different approach to the breathing is warranted.

Also notifying your vet if is it is worse with exercise or excitement, laying in a certain position, even videotaping an episode so that he/ she can see what is going on (since often they won't do it for us at the clinic!)

At home you can try periods in the steam of the shower to help soothe her breathing and sometimes there is an allergic component so benadryl at 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours should be tried as well (may cause mild sedation)

But if the steam and benadryl do not help in getting her comfortable I would urge you to get some chest and neck x-rays to rule out bronchitis or other senior changes that dogs can have with their respiratory sysstems

Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with today! I hope you are able to get her signs controlled soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Angel. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman