Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My dog chewed on a bottle of ibuprofen 800mg tablets. I'm

Customer Question

My dog chewed on a bottle of ibuprofen 800mg tablets. I'm not sure if she swallowed any. She doesn't show any signs of feeling sick or acting differently. What should I do? What signs of a problem should I look for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear that Meeko might have gotten into ibuprofen. I am happy to help you this evening. It is very important to find out if she ate any or not because it can take days for the signs to show up as this can cause kidney failure and GI ulcers in dogs. If you aren't sure I would recommend having her seen by your vet tonight or an emergency vet to induce vomiting and to be given activated charcoal to help absorb any of the medication in her system. She will also need to have her kidney values measured over the next few days to make sure nothing is changed. If you cannot get her to the vet tonight then induce vomiting using hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 tablespoon per 10 lbs of body weight and make her drink it. Wait 15 minutes and repeat if she doesn't vomit. You can repeat up to 3 times. If you can get her to vomit them perfect and look for the medication in the vomit. Then tomorrow it is recommended to have her seen by your vet to get some blood work done just to make sure. You do not want to just wait and see because by then the damage can be done.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!