Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Type your question here.I have had two minituarejschnauzers

Customer Question

Type your question here.I have had two minituarejschnauzers first litle girl was great she lived to be 11 years old, the second one I had got diabities and lost her at five years. Is diabities common in schnauzers?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
In regards to your question, this breed is particularly prone to diabetes as compared to other pure breeds. So, we do see a lot of miniature schnauzers with this condition. It is thought to potentially be linked to insulin resistance secondary to other breed specific health issues like hypertriglyceridemia, pancreatitis, and Cushing's disease. Therefore, if you were to have any more miniature schnauzers, there is a real risk of facing diabetes with another dog in the future.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.