Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My pug is anxious--breathes hard and licks s paws

Customer Question

My pug is anxious--breathes hard and licks his paws frantically and tries to reach around to his lower body (but can't because he is a pug). He also rubs his rear end in a rocking motion. He seems very uncomfortable. He's also vomited up clear whitish mucus five times. These symptoms appeared after I gave him some beef feet bones to chew on (no sharp bones) and has kept up for two hours. This is the third time it's happened in two months. The symptoms go away after a few hours; the next day he seems perfectly normal again. What do you think is occurring?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Smudge the Pug. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How long has he been like this?

He might be having trouble with passing pieces of bone, or the bone might be irritating the lining of his intestines as it passes. I might consider not giving the bones again; the veterinary dentists tell us not to give anything to our dogs that we can't bend or break with our bare hands because it can cause fractures of the teeth.

He might have problems with his anal glands being impacted, or infected. When I see a dog rocking on his rear end, I always check the anal glands. If his glands are little inflamed or impacted, they might hurt more as the pieces of the bones pass by. These glands are inside the anus, you can see them from outside. I check them, wearing a glove, inside the anus.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer.